Monday, January 19, 2009

Monday Mailbox...of sorts

In an effort of reduce the amount of money that I spend, and the amount I books I have to house, I'm not ordering too many books on-line these days.
So my Monday mail-box is the list of books that I've received from my visit to the library....I had 3 waiting for me and found one on the shelf.







The Diving Bell and the Butterfly by Jean-Dominique Bauby




This is a small book, only 140 pages, with tiny chapters, so it's perfect to pop into your handbag to pull out for a quick read when you have a spare few mintues...or it could be read in just a few hours!
I've started it already, it's lovely...I'm sure I'll have a review up very soon!











God's Callgirl by Carla Van Raay



I picked this off the shelf at Borders one day when I had a couple of hours to kill while waiting for my dd to finish work. I read through the first couple of chapters and wanted to read more, so I got home and ordered it through my library. I'm looking forward to completing it, it's the memoir of a womans journey from a nun to a callgirl and beyond....













Salvation Creek by Susan Duncan



This book I've seen sitting in the bookshops, but I have read an excerpt from it in one of our Australian women's magazines recently and wanted to read more. It is a memior of the authors journey following the death of her husband and her brother within three days of each other. Don't know anything more than that, I haven't looked at reviews or blurb abouth this book....it's one that I'll let unfold as I read the pages!












The Reader by Bernhard Schlink





Listed on Sheri's blog, anf because there is a movie being released soon, is what has let me to this book.
Again I know very little about this book, but from what I have read it sounds good...and I'm game for another unknown book which could become a favoured gem!











xx

Lisa

6 comments:

ANovelMenagerie said...

Oh, lookie... ! Somebody is playing with templates! Looks great! I posted my review on The Reader, the movie. I LOVED IT! You will soar through the book. It's a fast read, as is The Butterfly. I liked The Reader much more. But, what I really loved was Life of Pi. If you haven't read it... get it on your list and pronto. Another great one is The Glass Castle. I also like The Time Traveler's Wife.

Good job on your blog. You're movin' and shakin' chica!

Anonymous said...

Lisa, when I was working at QBD, I processed the book Salvation Creek, and have wondered about it ever since. There is a sequel to it also, but can't remember the name off hand.

I don't want to buy books either, if I can help it. Don't want to lug them around. But, our library here is hopeless! Still, I resist for now.

I am looking forward to what you think of Salvation Creek.

I did a post on a Queensland Author a couple of weeks ago... Kate Morton. Her book The Shifting Fog is a bestseller, and it was brilliant, I thought. I loved it... have you heard of it?

See my post if you are interesting in more info...

Lisa said...

Hi Amanda

Her new book is called The House at Salvation Creek...there is an excerpt from it in the current issue of the Australian Women's Weekly.

When I went to the library there is a wait list of nearly 50 people for it....gosh it will be ages until I get to read it....but I'm not in a rush, but Salvation Creek was on the shelf so I grabbed that.

Regarding Kate Morton; yes I did read your post, I'm interested and when I go to Borders next I'll sit down and have a quick read....there are some good things about living in the big smoke....having a decent library and now since we've moved, Borders is just up the road....I love it...they have no problem with you sitting in there store and reading through their books....they provide leather chairs for your comfort....as well as the free air conditioning!

For that I'm happy to pay $3.80 for a regular latte from the coffee shop in-store!

Lisa said...

Hi Sheri

Yep, and getting fustrated with the templates....so I'm sticking to what I have now....my blog's not formatting right with the one that I want....grrrr!

Thanks for the review of Life of Pi, I'm adding that to my list as well.

I read Glass Castle and Time Traveler's Wife last year....I loved both but especially TTW....and I'm not usually into fantasy or love stories...and that book had both!

I hear that there is a movie coming out, of course here in Australia it might be ages until we get it showing. But I'm very keen to see how they've done it and if they can translate the novel to the big screen!
TTW is a beautiful novel, I think I cried at the end, which is a bit sad, but that's the power of a wonderfully crafted story!

Looking forward to your next inspiring post.

xx

Anonymous said...

Come on Lisa!! You should have knocked off the Butterfly book by now ;)

I have been waiting patiently for a review!!

140 pages is no challenge for you. You have read bigger books than that in a day! ;)

Lisa said...

Hi Amanda

I have finished The Butterfly book, I read it in one day, I just haven't made it back to write a review.
I have also finished the God's Callgirl book...which is probably why there is no review of the other book!

Now I'm reading The Reader and Salvation Creek....the first book looks like it's going to be a heavier type of read so I'm breaking it up with the Salvation Creek book.

I've also had car trouble...went out to do run Zoe down to school for a Year 12 meeting and ended up getting stuck down there with a broken down car that needed towing to get repaired!!!!
Thank goodness the car is still under the new car warranty, so there was no charge...no the repair or the towing!

Look for a review very soon...I hope that life will settle down soon!

xx