Monday, February 23, 2009

The Oscars

Hi again

I have a quieter week this week, hence a bit more time to blog!

It's Oscars time again...and I'm not really into them at all...I do like to see who wins the major awards...hoping for Slumdog Millionare to take out the Best Movie gong...

I've just read on the web at Heath Ledger won for his role in the Dark Knight.

I haven't watched all of the movie...too much violence for me....and we started watching it late one night and I was too tired to follow it...

But 'everyone' thought that he would win it...but is all the hype because he died or because it was the BEST performance??

It appears that no one questioned him getting the award....it was/is a given....but I wonder if he was living, would he have won it????

Here is Australia, it's almost a 'holy cow' thing....dare anyone offer an opinion to the popular one?
He was of course the Aussie local done good in Hollywood.....

This of course is no biggie in the scheme of life....I'm just wondering if it's an emotional response to someone who died when they were still young, or is the award deserved on merit?

My opinion is the first one....

xx

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That movie was very over-rated in my opinion, but then again, that type of movie was never my thing...

He got the oscar because it is a true saying that most famous people become more famous when dead.

Glad you have time for a breather this week ;)

HomeGrownKids said...

Oh this has bugged me for awhile now...don't get me wrong. I have lost people close to me. I have experienced the pain of losing someone.

But I've also witnessed how people can almost canonise a loved one after they've passed...choose only to remember the wonderful things and never mention the negative. This isn't in relation to Heath Ledge, just a general rant. But it bugs me.

I mean, c'mon already...

Yeah it was a foregone conclusion based on emotion. Yeah he was good in it...but of course it was all heightened, IMO, because he died.

maybe Hollywood can now move on...to whatever it is that they consider to move on with. Who knows? I don't try to keep up but YKWIM.

Bah humbug!

Lisa said...

Thanks for the comments Susan and Amanda....I do know what you mean Susan...

Nice to know that I'm not the only one to question the hype about this....

xx

Anonymous said...

I don't think Oscars should be given to dead people anyway... maybe something can be said and done to honour the memory of the person, but award the actual Oscar to someone in the land of the living (even if they are mostly plastic, lol)